Friday, January 9, 2009

Fan of the Week: Pantless Panther-watching mom?

We've had the opportunity to meet many, um, passionate fans in our years covering sports. Folks with shrines to their teams. Folks who paint their faces and bodies, not necessarily on game days. One fan I met was a short order cook outside Fenway Park in Boston, and if a customer dared wear Yankees garb on the weekend the teams were playing next door, well, he'd be smart to check his eggs twice.

Then there is Julie Maloney of Fort Mill.










Julie writes on MomsCharlotte today about a superstition she has regarding the Carolina Panthers. It began when she was watching football with her husband-to-be. We'll let her explain.

In the beginning, we’d get beer, chips and salsa and start off the afternoon. The staples of a football game in our house. Without getting into too much detail, one thing led to another. And then we started to notice that the days I was without pants, Carolina would win. That year, we went to the Superbowl. The night of the big game I wore jeans because my friend watched the game with us. Carolina lost.


Now, Julie does her best not to wear pants for Panthers games. It's not always easy. For the details, go to her story here.


To answer the two questions we know you have:


1) Yes, we think this is real. (Would you confess to it if it weren't true?)


2) No, there aren't more pictures.


Tell us about your Panthers superstition - or offer up your candidate for Panthers Fan of the Week.

15 comments:

  1. Oh so many things I could say... and ALL of them would get me banned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would it take to win the Super Bowl? Have her watch naked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a chick who has kids to not wear pants.

    Class all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the Panthers games are just an excuse to ho around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to see pic's, otherwise I don't believe this story

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wear a skirt... does that qualify as no pants?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, her family must be so proud of her for sharing this story. Classy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What does she do for the playoffs - "take care of the team" for fun. Imagine going to school and a kid asks you why your mom doesn't wear pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, wearing a skirt qualifies, which is what I do when there is company or I can't get a sitter. When it's just me and my hubby, it's pants-less for the W. Pressure's on for tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Juli, here's to hoping that your Fort Mill home is inundated with visitors tomorrow!! Maybe something on the order of a banquet. A catered affair?

    -Cards, just up the street!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie Thanks for sharing your support for our Panthers. Should be a Cold one tonight so make that a long skirt. I'm sorry your sweet article on a fan honoring a simple sporting superstition has brought out the trashy comments of so many cowardly "anonymous" posters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks! That is appreciated! I think if anyone actually reads my posts on my site (or even the article I wrote for the paper that brought this new fame of mine), they'll see that I keep it PG when there are kids/guests in the home. I don't have time to R it up, I'm busy watching the game!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you should try to more explanation for your clarification,I don't think so it's a true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. can you provide us proofs, otherwise i dont think so anyone would believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is not a proper justification and i couldn't understand the whole situation you should explain each and every thing clearly.

    ReplyDelete